Well, Lads !!!
Let's start with big style: with a rare and unusual vehicle: a cool conversion to inaugurate my new Bunker!
|AEC Mk II British AC|
I will build an AEC Mk II version AA, which was built only one unit, for feasibility studies.
|Prototype AEC Mk II AA -AC|
This version derivated from AEC Mk II mounting a Crusader AA turret with twin 20mm Oerlikon cannon capable of high elevation to engage enemy aircraft. Did not enter in production due to Allied air superiority in Northern Europe. Only one prototype built. See more about AEC ACs Mk I and Mk III clicking in the links.
|AEC Mk II AA Armoured Car|
|Place of origin||UK|
|Number built||01 - Beggining of 1944|
|Weight||12.7 t (14.0 short tons; 12.5 long tons)|
|Crew||4 -: driver, 2 loaders and comm.|
|2 Oerlikon 20mm - 450 rounds/min|
muzzle velocity :830 m/s
ammo: 600 rds
|Vickers K .303|
|Engine||AEC 197 diesel - 6 cil|
105-158 hp at 2.000 rpm (78-118 kW)
For this project, I'll use these beauties:
|AEC Mk. II - Injected by MiniArt|
|ARMO conversion kit, made in Poland.|
Yesterday, I started the project:
|The ARMO resin kit. Superb casted...|
|The Miniart kit. Speechless...very, very good !!!|
The turret ARMO is very good, but has a defect, an eaves on the roof, which is absent in the original turret ...
|No eaves in the Crusader roof...|
|The disease !!|
|The cure !!!|
|Corrected. Much better !!!|
|Oerlikon L/70 20mm from ARMO - Nicely shaped, but simple ...|
|The guns ...|
I ordered the excellent barrels from RB Models ... Let's see how long they will take to get here in Brazil ...
|New technology guns from RB Models. Another level of manufacturing...|
As the antiaircraft version was a prototype and used a standard Mk II chassis, I kept the racks of ammunition, as poetic license ...
|Notice the engine...|
|The engine in his bed !!!|
|The Dunlop tyres...|
|The front and rear transmissons and axles...|
|In place...Notice the details in PE|
|The "belly" protetcion in place...|
|Testing the alignement...|
|Eyes left !!!|
|With her sister, the Mk III from Accurate|
I built the ARMO Crusader turret but the prototype had the Crusader's most developed turret. See the pic below with inserts...
|Notice the differences between turrets|
|Cutting the side shields...|
|Raising the turret sides...|
|New side shields...|
|The aiming device made with copper wire|
|Much better !!!|
|Testing the turret's collar...|
|The turret fitting...|
|Well done !!!|
|Internal weathering and the drive's hatch...|
|The upper hull "welded" in place...|
|AEC Mk III and AEC Mk II AA...|
Yesterday, was the day of the heaviest adaptations. James Guld, in Missing-Lynx, suggested the trimming down in the front armour of the turret, which "lips" is greatly exaggerated in the turret ARMO. With the removal of these flanges, the front bolts must be repositioned, as noticed by Paul Kirchner also in Missing Lynx.
And Hudy Jatai, in WebKits, alert to the flatness between the front and rear fenders. Thanks for the tips, boys !!! Let's see the results of the surgeries...First of all, the improvements in the turret. After the front plate was trimmed down, the six studs/bolts will have to be relocated. I remembered the screws of the side armour of the AFV Churchill, that I have in my spare parts box ...
|Spare parts....Gift of the Gods!!|
|Same shape and size....Voilááá..|
Remove children front of the computer.
The following scenes are very shocking...
|Cutting the bolts...|
|Done...The resin is so good that the screws could be reused ...|
|Trimming down the front armour...|
After cutting the lips of armor, I applied putty on the armour surface (on the cuts of the screws) and put it aside to dry (and for my heartbeat back to normal ...). Meanwhile, we study the changes in the fenders and in the side racks ...
|Planning the cuts...|
|The side hatch will be sealed...|
|Starting the modifications...|
|Drawing the "bridge" between the fenders ...|
|The measurements, in millimeters|
(if another crazy want to do the same project ...)
Warning !!! Shocking images !!!
|Cutting the fenders !!! No regrets!!!|
|Madness !!! Madness!!!|
After applying the fenders "bridges" and laminate the side racks (sorry. .. could not shoot ..) with thin plasticard (see the hull in background...), I turned my attention to the turret
|The bolts places...|
|Done !!! ufff!!!!|
And the beast, after the plastic surgery:
More advances: adding details ...
|Ready for painting...|
|Vallejo Olive-Drab primer plus Lifecolor Acrylic|
I love operational markings...if the vehicle was operational, she could participate in the Normandy landings...
|After Future, decals...Satan is born...|
|AEC Mk II AA - 5th RTR, 7th Armoured Division, Normandy - 1944.|
Now, it's expect dry the decal to the beginning of weathering ...
I also finished this young, by St. George!! I did the final detailing with the Soviet S-51 ...I like to do it this way to save time (I have so many virgins kits in my closet, yet ...).
|The metal guns from RBModels finally arrived...|
|Dont forget; buy two sets !!!|
|Notice the differences...|
|The guns in the turret...|
And after the weathering ( prototype...the vehicle was not very worn ...)
|AEC Mk II AA "Satan"- 5th RTR, 7th Armoured Division, Normandy - 1944|
|AEC Mk II AA - left side|
|AEC Mk II AA - right side|
|AEC Mk II AA "Satan" with Kojak, for size comparison|
|AEC Mk II AA "Satan" - 5th RTR, 7th Armoured Division, Normandy - 1944|
|S-51 SPG and AEC Mk II AA|
|Kojak approves !!!|
See you, soon, Lads !!!