Google+ Panzerserra Bunker- Military Scale Models in 1/35 scale: Bedford QL halftrack prototype - case report
Atenção - Attention:

A publicação de qualquer imagem ou informação referente ao nazismo, fascismo ou outros quaisquer regimes totalitários deve ser entendida como reprodução do rigor histórico e não como apologia a estes regimes, aos seus líderes ou aos seus símbolos.

The publication of any images or informations related to nazism, fascism or any other totalitarian regimes must be understood as the reproduction of historical accuracy and not as apology to these regimes, leaders or symbols.


terça-feira, 1 de janeiro de 2013

Bedford QL halftrack prototype - case report

      Well, Gents !!!

      A new year, a new postage.  I'll introduce you guys to something very uncommon, but it was built.

      A Bedford "Bren prototype".  This truck was an attempt to install tracks in a Bedford QL. The prototype showed excellent performance in the tests, but was not put into production. The single prototype was built later reconverted to the normal pattern and disappeared.
Bedford Bren - halftrack prototype
History:
    I found this beast in the excellent book "Bedford to Berlin and Beyond (Trucks)" , from Robert Coates (see image insert above). The book's description:
        "With the threatened drying,up of supplies of rubber after the capture of Singapore, and in a general attempt to save raw materials. The Ministry of Supply carried out an experiment in which a Bren-gun carrier's running gear was mated to a standard QL cargo lorry. Surviving photographs indicate that, as with the “Giraffe”, a QLD chassis was used but it was, nevertheless, most certainly a ‘special type’. The track and suspension assembly from the Bren carrier was modified, mainly by shortening it and exhaustive tests were carried out at the WVEE. 
      This hybrid QL performed even better than had been hoped, and certainly better than existing halftracks . unlike lhe earlier marques, the QL had a driven front axle. Several reasons combined to prevent the design going into full production: its initial cost was obviously higher than two simple wheels; it was far more, complex than an axle with wheels and, of course, huge strides had been made in developing synthetic substitutes for rubber which, effectively removed the reason for developing the idea in the first place."

      Well, to do my model, I follow the recipe from original prototype: Pick up a Bedford and a Bren carrier and mix the two ...Bingo !!!

The kits:
      As I said, the kits were:
Italeri's Bedford plus Tamiya's Universal Carrier (notice the bag kit from Accurate)
Accurate Armour conversion kit
        The first thing I did was this template to guide me through the constructive steps ....
Bedford halftrack in detail
      The job in progress: transforming the rear suspension in halftrack: I used Italeri and Tamiya parts.
rear suspension - notice the two plasticards discs to transform the sprocket wheels
plastic surgery in the sprocket wheel
the italeri's transmission axle with Tamiya's sprocket wheels
in detail...
       Building the metal cabin and details...The cargo bed was built with plasticard.


The rear suspension in place. Notice the awful gap between the door and cabin frame
Notice the cooper wire, for cargo canvas. The vinyl tracks are Tamiya.
    I corrected the flaw of the door with putty and made ​​a new chute door with stretched sprue ....

fixing the door's gap
fixing the defect - left door
fixing the defect - right door
the rear suspension

the girl with primer
and painted in green...

tonal variations and details...


Decals...I love that part !!!


      After markings, I started the canvas, using tracing paper with diluted white glue


superglue to stabilize the canvas in position...
and the white glue...
done !!!
Bedford halftrack - belly view
       But my friend Alan McNeilly warned me that the canvas folds were wrong. The correct was...
Bedford QL with folded tarp
Notice the folds...Thanks, Alain !!!!
     
           So, I made a new tarp above the older one...with correct folds...Thanks a lot, Alain !!!

the tarp made with tracing paper, again...
tarp under construction
painting....


weathering....





         And I stretched the tarp with ropes:











Bedford QL halftrack - prototype

      Well, Lads...Thanks and all the best !!!

7 comentários:

MrDyzio disse...

Nicely done! And very unique subject... I really like it. Happy New Year!

StuG disse...

It's great....Well done...:)
Hakan

Panzerserra disse...

Mr Dyzio and Stug:
Thanks, Gents !!!

Cheers !!

Bizarre disse...

another winner!

hubert disse...

original and so british, congrats
hubert

Thierry Tish disse...

Yep that's a realy cool conversion!

Thierry

Panzerserra disse...

Thanks, Tankers >>>

all the best !!!

Postar um comentário